Savory Stuffed Squash
A versatile fall recipe packed with flavor.
1 cup wild rice
2 medium butternut squash
ENZO Medium Organic Olive Oil
8 ounces of chorizo or spicy pork sausage
1 bunch Swiss chard or hearty green, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
ENZO'S TABLE Basil Pesto
4 ounces dried sour cherries, roughly chopped
4 ounces feta, strained
4 tablespoons ENZO sliced almonds
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. In a medium sized pot, combine the wild rice with 2 cups of water, a pinch of salt and a light splash of olive oil. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low until the rice is tender - note that rice blends vary. Remove from heat and let the rice continue steaming for 10 minutes.
2. While the rice is cooking, heat oven to 400°. Halve the squash, then scrape out and discard the seeds. Coat with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, then roast, skin side down, until tender throughout, 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then scoop out the meat of the squash, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chorizo until cooked throughout, letting some pieces get crispy. Stir in the chard, and continue cooking 2-3 minutes until slightly wilted. Remove from heat.
4. In a large bowl, gently mix together the cooked rice, squash meat, chorizo and chard, basil pesto, dried cherries, and feta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Scoop the rice mixture into the emptied out squash boats. Top with a little extra feta and the sliced almonds, and return to the oven for 10 minutes, or until the almonds are browned.
6. Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley and a generous drizzle of olive oil!